olefile is based on the OleFileIO module from PIL v1.1.7, the excellent Python Imaging Library, created and maintained by Fredrik Lundh. The olefile API is still compatible with PIL, but since 2005 I have improved the internal implementation significantly, with new features, bugfixes and a more robust design.
From 2005 to 2014 the project was called OleFileIO_PL, and in 2014 I changed its name to olefile to celebrate its 9 years and its new write features.
As far as I know, this module is the most complete and robust Python implementation to read MS OLE2 files, portable on several operating systems. (please tell me if you know other similar Python modules)
Since 2014 olefile/OleFileIO_PL has been integrated into Pillow, the friendly fork of PIL.
In January 2017, it was decided to remove olefile from Pillow 4.0.0 and to install it as an external dependency. This will avoid issues due to the maintenance of the olefile code in two repositories.
Main improvements over the original version of OleFileIO in PIL:¶
- Compatible with Python 3.5+ and 2.7
- Many bug fixes
- Support for files larger than 6.8MB
- Support for 64 bits platforms and big-endian CPUs
- Robust: many checks to detect malformed files
- Runtime option to choose if malformed files should be parsed or raise exceptions
- Improved API
- Metadata extraction, stream/storage timestamps (e.g. for document forensics)
- Can open file-like objects
- Added setup.py and install.bat to ease installation
- More convenient slash-based syntax for stream paths
- Write features
- 2020-11-03 v0.47 (in development):
- added VT_VECTOR support for properties (PR #135 by @mak)
- added get_userdefined_properties to parse user-defined properties (PR #114 by @DissectMalware)
- olefile is now distributed as a universal wheel package in PyPI (PR #130, issue #140)
- 2018-09-09 v0.46: OleFileIO can now be used as a context manager (with…as), to close the file automatically (see doc). Improved handling of malformed files, fixed several bugs.
- 2018-01-24 v0.45: olefile can now overwrite streams of any size, improved handling of malformed files, fixed several bugs, end of support for Python 2.6 and 3.3.
- 2017-01-06 v0.44: several bugfixes, removed support for Python 2.5 (olefile2), added support for incomplete streams and incorrect directory entries (to read malformed documents), added getclsid, improved documentation with API reference.
- 2017-01-04: moved the documentation to ReadTheDocs
- 2016-05-20: moved olefile repository to GitHub
- 2016-02-02 v0.43: fixed issues #26 and #27, better handling of malformed files, use python logging.
- 2015-01-25 v0.42: improved handling of special characters in stream/storage names on Python 2.x (using UTF-8 instead of Latin-1), fixed bug in listdir with empty storages.
- 2014-11-25 v0.41: OleFileIO.open and isOleFile now support OLE files stored in byte strings, fixed installer for python 3, added support for Jython (Niko Ehrenfeuchter)
- 2014-10-01 v0.40: renamed OleFileIO_PL to olefile, added initial write support for streams >4K, updated doc and license, improved the setup script.
- 2014-07-27 v0.31: fixed support for large files with 4K sectors, thanks to Niko Ehrenfeuchter, Martijn Berger and Dave Jones. Added test scripts from Pillow (by hugovk). Fixed setup for Python 3 (Martin Panter)
- 2014-02-04 v0.30: now compatible with Python 3.x, thanks to Martin Panter who did most of the hard work.
- 2013-07-24 v0.26: added methods to parse stream/storage timestamps, improved listdir to include storages, fixed parsing of direntry timestamps
- 2013-05-27 v0.25: improved metadata extraction, properties parsing and exception handling, fixed issue #12
- 2013-05-07 v0.24: new features to extract metadata (get_metadata method and OleMetadata class), improved getproperties to convert timestamps to Python datetime
- 2012-10-09: published python-oletools, a package of analysis tools based on OleFileIO_PL
- 2012-09-11 v0.23: added support for file-like objects, fixed issue #8
- 2012-02-17 v0.22: fixed issues #7 (bug in getproperties) and #2 (added close method)
- 2011-10-20: code hosted on bitbucket to ease contributions and bug tracking
- 2010-01-24 v0.21: fixed support for big-endian CPUs, such as PowerPC Macs.
- 2009-12-11 v0.20: small bugfix in OleFileIO.open when filename is not plain str.
- 2009-12-10 v0.19: fixed support for 64 bits platforms (thanks to Ben G. and Martijn for reporting the bug)